14 children flee Swinton house blaze after eight Our hero: year old Amy raises the alarmEight year old Amy O'Toole is being hailed a hero after she raised the alarm on a devastating house fire in Swinton and then design oakleys helped her mum round up 13 other children and four adults to help them escape the blaze.
09:08, 28 MAY 2012Updated19:10, 10 JAN 2013Fourteen children fled a devastating house fire after the alarm was raised by an eight year old girl. Amy O'Toole is being hailed a hero after she smelled smoke coming from an upstairs bedroom at her home. The youngster alerted her mum Michelle Leech, 34, and then helped round buy oakley glasses up 13 other children aged between 18 months and 17 and four adults who were in the house at the time, before leading them to safety. Michelle and Amy's four year old brother Sean Junior were both taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation. But grandma Carol Leech said oakley sunglasses outlet online Amy's quick thinking had helped save the lives of her parents and her siblings. Carol, 54, said: "The house is badly damaged but it could have been much, much worse. "She acted so quickly and did exactly the right thing by raising the alarm and making sure everyone oakley wire got out. "She is quite a mature little girl but we are all so proud of how well she did. She was an absolute star." Despite being labelled a life saver, little Amy said she does not see herself as a hero and is just glad her family are all okay. She said: "I could smell the smoke and when I went into the room I could see there was some bedding on fire. I shouted for my mum as loud as I could and then told everyone to get out of the house. "I knew what to do because they told us in school. I am happy everyone is okay but I do not think I am a hero. "All my brothers and sisters would have done the same for me." But sister Lauren, 15, said: "She is a hero in our eyes. She acted so quickly and so calmly and who knows what would have happened if she hadn't been there. I think she saved our lives. The fire was really bad and a few minutes could have made all the difference." Firefighters were called to the six bedroom semi detached house in Coniston Road, Swinton, at around 3pm yesterday. Grandma Cath O'Toole, 64, who lives nearby, ran into the house and battled through the flames to rescue four year old Sean after seeing her grandchildren racing out into the street. The family are now staying with friends and relatives until temporary accommodation can be found. Fire investigators are looking into the possibility that the blaze could have been started by children playing with matches in an upstairs bedroom. A fire service spokesman said: "The fire has caused extensive damage to the house and the family are now being found temporary alternative accommodation. One possible cause of the fire is children playing in a bedroom where a quantity of bedding was set alight.
" The four adults rescued were mum Michelle and dad Sean O'Toole, 40, uncle Chris Leech, 31, and grandma Carol. Their children who fled were Kyle, 17; Lauren, 15; Chloe, 14; Connor, 10; twins Amy and Demi, eight; Chanelle, seven; Leah, five; Sean Junior, four; Kieran, three and Nevaeh, one. There were also three other children in the house Natasha Derbyshire, 15, Sophie Derbyshire, 13, and Keeley McAteer, 13.
Prev: oakley store locations
Next: where to buy cheap oakleys